[Sugar-devel] Outreachy - Going Beyond Equal Temperament in Music Blocks

Devin Ulibarri devin at ulibarri.website
Sat Mar 25 23:01:49 EDT 2017

On Sat, 2017-03-25 at 14:06 -0400, Walter Bender wrote:
> (Question for Devin: What naming convention do we use if there are
> more than 12 half-steps?

Do you mean "by default"?

>  I guess we just use pitch number?)

Pitch Number is a good option to have (that is why I recommend to have
pitch number as the first layer for a pitch collection--see attached
diagram), but the way I am thinking of this there is no reason that a
user cannot expand upon a current naming system.

For example, that way they could have a system with greater than 12 and
still use common names, too, if they want. In fact, that is what just
intonation does.

So, Do# and Reb could be defined as truly different pitches, but keep
the meaningful nominal values. (The tricky design question, is how do we
define both solfege and note name into their respective pitches -- i.e.
multiple names/systems for the same note(s)).

Do you follow my thoughts?

(On this topic, I am attaching a very rough draft of an SVG diagram I
made a while ago in an attempt to explain this. NOTE: I did not finish
it, so it is only a 12 note system. However, if someone wants to use
this as a jumping off point for other diagrams, be my guest.)