[Sugar-devel] Outreachy - Going Beyond Equal Temperament in Music Blocks

Devin Ulibarri devin at ulibarri.website
Sat Mar 25 12:39:35 EDT 2017

On Sat, 2017-03-25 at 14:28 +0530, Sachithra Dangalla wrote:
> I came up with the following simple activity diagram(attachment 1) to
> capture what happens when the user defines a temperament. By
> incorporating the comments and Devin's mockups in the GitHub issue[1]
> I came up with a mockup design for the widget (attachment 2). The
> widget will be initialized with the default values as follows:
>       * starting pitch: 256
>       * octave: 4
>       * 12 frequency blocks for each note with default ratio 1/1

The one place where your diagram (Temperament Widget Mockup) is confused
is how the ratios work.

The ratios should all be in relationship to the **fundamental note** (at
least by default).

Please see:

https://cloud.githubusercontent.com/assets/13454579/22155954/43cbf91c-deff-11e6-912d-2534e0e858d0.png

Source files available at:
https://owncloud.libretools.com/index.php/s/BhpgGVZCh1f3apL

Yours has only 1/1 ratios, which would be defining all the notes as the
same pitch and same as the fundamental.