[Sugar-devel] Outreachy - Going Beyond Equal Temperament in Music Blocks

Devin Ulibarri devin at ulibarri.website
Tue Mar 21 15:40:34 EDT 2017

On Tue, 2017-03-21 at 14:31 -0400, Walter Bender wrote:
> That seems like the correct approach to me in terms of the internals.
> The tricky bits then come into play when we start applying different
> types of transformations, such as adding half-steps, generating
> intervals, etc. Plus, there may be some work to do in integrating with
> the key and mode.

There /will/ be work to design something that integrates with key and
mode well.

I suspect that an abstract layer (somewhere, in the UI or in the code
itself) defined as pitch class would be helpful to organize sets of
pitches as well as have some identifier for unnamed collections of
pitches (i.e. scales).

(Some searches on the Internet leads me to find this. I have yet to read
them, but may be helpful)

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Pitch_class

Example of 19 tones using pitch class
http://qcpages.qc.cuny.edu/hhowe/articles/19-Tone%20Theory.html