[Sugar-devel] Outreachy - Going Beyond Equal Temperament in Music Blocks

Devin Ulibarri devin at ulibarri.website
Mon Mar 20 19:32:18 EDT 2017

On Tue, 2017-03-21 at 00:36 +0530, Sachithra Dangalla wrote:
> I went through some of the temperaments available in order to get an
> idea about the types of temperaments that can be added to Music
> Blocks. According to [1] the temperaments that could be added are:
>      1. Equal temperament(default)
>      2. Just intonation
>      3. Pythagorean tuning
>      4. Meantone temperament
>      5. Well temperament
> I would like to hear your suggestions to this list, whether to add
> more or about the implementation order.

We want functionality that allows the user to define temperament.

What you list would be good presets, but more important that presets is
the functionality.

> When implementing the temperaments, will they be added as blocks? Or
> will it be a part of the settings?

Please see my mockups on this thread:
https://github.com/walterbender/musicblocks/issues/485

The basic idea with my design is that the user can specify the pitch (in
Hz) for a particular nominal set (e.g. 440 = A4, La4). The entire
collection of pitches are called when its block is present in the user's
Music Block code (pretty much the way our action blocks work right
now--an action block calls the action clamp).

This is the basic idea/concept and goal. I am up for different possible
implementations per the details.