[Sugar-devel] sugar-meeting notes today

James Cameron quozl at laptop.org
Wed Jun 28 21:37:31 EDT 2017

On Thu, Jun 29, 2017 at 09:05:03AM +1000, James Cameron wrote:
> a.  do not use SoaS as the basis for activities to be preinstalled,
> since SoaS activities are determined by whether they are packaged for
> Fedora, but rather use Debian packaged activities only,

Comparing what is available to what is installed in the image, making
a list of what isn't installed but could be;

# apt-cache search sugar-[a-z0-9]*-activity | cut -f1 -d' ' | sort > a
# dpkg-query -W | egrep sugar-[a-z0-9]*-activity | awk '{print $1;}' > b
# grep --invert --file b a

Result is;

sugar-calculate-activity
sugar-etoys-activity
sugar-irc-activity
sugar-memorize-activity

In a brief test;

sugar-calculate works okay.

sugar-etoys-activity works, though it does not quickly fullscreen to
the correct dimensions; this is a problem generally and not specific
to Raspberry Pi.

sugar-irc-activity does not start, needs a bug report raised with
Debian, is merely missing simplejson, which was fixed in version 11.

sugar-memorize-activity works okay.

Other activities of interest;

sugar-turtleart-activity was in Debian Jessie but is not in Debian
Stretch, nor in Sid.

sugar-physics-activity was in Debian Wheezy and is in Debian Sid.

> b.  preinstall the old version of Physics from the Debian archive, and
> work through the Debian project to get that updated, and meanwhile
> don't support the latest version of Physics as a download,

Therefore I withdraw the suggestion to use the old version of Physics,
it would be better to avoid the activity or use the version in
Debian Sid.

--
James Cameron
http://quozl.netrek.org/