[Sugar-devel] GSoC project- Sugar on Raspberry Pi image build

James Cameron quozl at laptop.org
Thu Jul 6 18:28:15 EDT 2017

Please try the latest release candidate build 1.5 published yesterday,
see the edits by Thomas on the Wiki page.  This will test whether your
problem with booting was fixed.

If the problem persists, please verify the data on the microSD card
using the method that I described in IRC; using dd with bs=1024 and
count set to number of 1024 byte blocks in the original image, piped
to md5sum.  Compare the md5sum with that of the .raw file.

If the problem persists, please log a bug with Fedora.  Sugar Labs
needs Fedora SoaS to work well, as it has a good set of example
activities.

Thanks for adding automatic login feature, but I've no idea what you
did.

Please also;

- update your GitHub repository; last update was 14 days ago therefore
  your build is no longer reproducible,

- update your blog; it is two weeks out of date, (lower the time cost
  of an update by reducing how much you write),

- update the Wiki page; by removing broken links and answering any
  ambiguities,

- don't delete old builds so quickly; on people.sugarlabs.org it is no
  longer possible to compare your previous build and the new build,

- be more consistent with file names on your people.sugarlabs.org
  directory; the naming was inconsistent until you deleted an old
  build,

- always mail to sugar-devel@ any new build; don't expect people to go
  looking in your people.sugarlabs.org directory for changes.

Hope that helps!

On Mon, Jul 03, 2017 at 08:49:27PM +0530, Rishabh Thaney wrote:
> Thanks James for suggesting the Fedora SoAS, I did follow the instructions
> on their page to flash it on my SD card but it still doesn't boot.
>
> Moreover we did arrive at a fix for automatic login today and it's working
> pretty well.
> I wil work on reproducing an image with the automatic login fix and upload it
> to my Sunjammer account.
>
> Warm regards
> Rishabh
>
> On Mon, Jul 3, 2017 at 12:20 PM, James Cameron <[1]quozl at laptop.org> wrote:
>
>     Thanks to Thomas for testing and comparison of a recent Fedora SoaS
>     image, which has way more activities and has automatic login
>     configured.
>
>     [2]https://wiki.sugarlabs.org/go/Debian/Raspberry_Pi updated.
>
>     Given this, and the problems so far with rpi23-gen-image missing out
>     on recommended packages, and the two weeks it has taken to not fix the
>     automatic login, and their unfamiliarity with X server display manager
>     configuration, may I suggest the team switch to using Fedora SoaS?
>
>     This will set them forward on their task significantly, while still
>     meeting the original project idea.
>
>     There's also an issue with distributing the wireless firmware; Fedora
>     avoids it, but provides a FAQ explaining how to download it.  As
>     Fedora has a problem with distributing, so too may Sugar Labs.
>
>     [3]https://fedoraproject.org/wiki/Architectures/ARM/Raspberry_Pi?rd=
>     Raspberry_Pi#Wifi:
>
>     --
>     James Cameron