[Sugar-devel] [GSOC] Font Editor Next Steps

Yash Agarwal agrwal.ysh94 at gmail.com
Tue May 24 18:45:53 EDT 2016

On Tue, May 24, 2016 at 7:18 PM Dave Crossland <dave at lab6.com> wrote:

> On 23 May 2016 at 18:52, Yash Agarwal <agrwal.ysh94 at gmail.com> wrote:
>

>>    - Dave, Eli could you guys make a UI mock for the character map,  so
>>    that I can build it tomorrow
>>

> I think the current plan is for a horizontal bar along the top, like in
> Eli's HTML mock:
>

> https://sugarlabs.github.io/edit-fonts-activity/mockups/EditFontsMockUpJS.activity/

My aim for today was to build this, but I couldn't figure out how to make
the Gtk layout, Then I decided to go through this link to gain more
understanding about the Gtk workings and basic fundamentals, though its for
Gtk 2 it explains the fundamentals quite well
http://www.pygtk.org/dist/pygtk2-tut.pdf

I also found this amazing list of demos
https://git.gnome.org/browse/pygobject/tree/demos/gtk-demo/demos

apart from this I also reread the FLOSS Manual to better understand the
tasks at hand. Well thats all I did Today, and I'll hope to make a working
demo the character map tomorrow.

I think we will also need a table, like the TruFont one:

> https://sugarlabs.github.io/edit-fonts-activity/files/img/3.png
>

>>    - [Regarding defcon] I am having a some trouble understanding the
>>    concept behind the representation factories and notifications,
>>

> Please be more specific, perhaps quoting the part of the docs you are
> unclear about :)
>
> http://ts-defcon.readthedocs.io/en/latest/concepts/representations.html
>
> http://ts-defcon.readthedocs.io/en/latest/concepts/notifications.html
>
> https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Observer_pattern

This was what I was looking for, thanks, Gtk also uses this

how should I implement these in the glyphRenderer Class?

> I'm not sure - what does TruFont do?
>

>>    - whats the difference between an Anchor and Point in an UFO file?
>>

> A point is a bezier point, part of a contour.
>
> An anchor is a 'singleton' point, used to 'snap' glyphs together using
> OpenType Features (GPOS/GSUB code)
>
> https://glyphsapp.com/tutorials/diacritics

do we need to implement these in our activity?