[Sugar-devel] Extracting fiddle information from an html file

Tony Anderson tony_anderson at usa.net
Tue May 17 04:24:12 EDT 2016

Hi, Utkarsh

This feature will require some work - not just from pretty-printing.

Consider an html file:

<!DOCTYPE>
<head>
<title>hello</title>
<link href="global.css" type="text/css" rel="stylesheet"/>
h1 {
       text-align:center;
       }
<script src="jquery.js" type="text/javascript"></script>
</head>
<h1>My title</h1>
<script>
console.log($('h1').text())
</script>

When this file is extracted. The css panel should show the
<script></script> content. However,
the 'run' should display the html using the included global.css and
jquery.js files.

This is a feature beyond what seems to be provided by the online
jsfiddle. There the assumption is that the user is trying out a code
fragment to see what it does not working with a full web page.

There are a couple of other quirks we need to try.

In the case of javascript or html, the user may want to copy and paste
the text to the fiddler. Since the user is learning to create web pages
with javascript, this is a reasonable use case. This text should be
saved as a full html page.

The model I am using is a learner who uses a text editor (nano or gedit)
to prepare and edit html files and then wants to open it in Browse and
test with the fiddler. After making some corrections, the user wants to
save the file and perhaps resume editing with a local editor. The user
also may want to display the web page by url
(file:///home/olpc/Documents/myfile.html). This will require the user to
copy the file from the Journal to the Documents folder.

One problem last year is that there was not enough time for us to really
check out these capabilities so I will not be surprised if some of these
cases need more programming work in the web-console code.

Note: