[Sugar-devel] Sugarizer Activity Set - Speak Activity (vishal.batchu)

Vishal Batchu vishalvenkat71 at gmail.com
Thu Mar 24 02:28:31 EDT 2016

Hi Tony,

I took a look at the Java version of the bot but I wanted to ensure that
the entire activity is only dependent on the browser and nothing else. So I
wanted to use a Javascript implementation of the AIML parser.
Using this, https://www.npmjs.com/package/aimlinterpreter and making a lot
of changes I could get it to work and parse the AIML files and extract the
now works with the same AIML files that are used in the original activity.

I really like the idea of the user teaching the bot in case the bot does
not know the answer. I will definitely add this in the javascript version
and maybe also make a PR on the original activity if I implement this
feature.

One of the problems that I am currently facing is that Javascript takes
longer than Python to load the responses and reply to the user, I will try
make it faster maybe by reading the files differently or maybe by doing
that parallelly once the activity has started. It currently takes about
2.5-3.5 seconds for the bot to respond to a question.

Thanks,
Vishal Batchu
(@erilyth)