[Sugar-devel] [GSOC] Font Editor Next Steps

Dave Crossland dave at lab6.com
Fri Jun 24 23:31:29 EDT 2016

On Jun 24, 2016 3:16 AM, "Yash Agarwal" <agrwal.ysh94 at gmail.com> wrote:

> Yesterday's Work
> I stumbled onto this issue in my glyph rendering module
> https://github.com/sugarlabs/edit-fonts-activity/issues/44
> so this took a lot of time, but is still not implemented, I will look at
Trufonts source later for this

Sounds good!

> I was having issue's in implementing Treeview to show the font list, now
I would say its at about 80%, this includes solving the stars bug and
adding a text box which will change the default text (currently hardcoded
to "the quick brown fox.....") for the Font Manager

Both are pretty essential features. I'm sorry doing such simple things is
so hard.

> Also importing ttf and otf in working through Object Chooser now

Awesome!!

> Today's Goal:
> Plan to complete the GUI and release a stable .xo so that the activity
can be tested

I agree this is a good goal to keep in focus until its done :)

> Questions:
> No Questions today :)
>
> On Thu, Jun 23, 2016 at 9:12 AM Dave Crossland <dave at lab6.com> wrote:
>>
>> Hi
>>
>> On Jun 22, 2016 10:50 PM, "Yash Agarwal" <agrwal.ysh94 at gmail.com> wrote:
>> >
>> > Today's Work
>>
>> Boom!!!
>>
>> > Import module is working for ttf files
>>
>> Sweet! Do you convert tt outlines to cff?
>>
>> > Export module is working with fontmake
>>
>> Great
>>
>> > Activation/Deactivation module is done
>>
>> Awesome. Is the star button fixed?
>>
>> > I started adding making changes to the UI for "creating a new font"
but ended up adding a lot more around it, I'll make a blog post about it
later
>> > it still requires a little debugging so no gif today
>>
>> Looking forward to it :)
>>
>> > what I plan to do next:
>> > sort out the bugs in the UI and make a blog post about the new features
>>
>> Yes!
>>
>> > for importing UFO files Trufont asks for a link to the metainfo.plist
file which has an "application/x-plist" MIME type, so also going to use that

>> Sounds good enough for a first pass. I think in the second round, ufoz
makes more sense, then its a single file. Additionally, we could get Sugar
to understand nextstep bundles but its a rathole.

1.1. This license is available with a FAQ at: http://scripts.sil.org/OFL

>> > license URL
>>
>> Use,
>>
>> http://scripts.sil.org/OFL
>>
>> > cap height,
>>
>> 800
>>
>> > x-height,
>>
>> 500
>>
>> > ascender,
>>
>> 800
>>
>> > descender,
>>
>> -200
>>
>> > units per em
>>
>> 1000
>>
>> > or should I shorten the list?
>>
>> These defaults make a short list :)
>>
>> > Similarly, what all info for creating a new glyph?
>>
>> Just a glyph name.
>>
>> Please file an issue for a second round that the input should allow a
space separated list of names to create a bunch at once, if this is not
easy for you to add in the first round (ie, tomorrow)

>> Then, you can guess unicode values from the names using
https://github.com/LettError/glyphNameFormatter/ - and else when the code
can't guess, leave it blank.

>> Please file an issue for the someday/later milestone to add some UI for
checking the encoding of glyphs and correcting them.