[Sugar-devel] [GSOC] Font Editor Next Steps

Dave Crossland dave at lab6.com
Wed Jun 22 23:41:58 EDT 2016

Hi

On Jun 22, 2016 10:50 PM, "Yash Agarwal" <agrwal.ysh94 at gmail.com> wrote:

> Today's Work

Boom!!!

> Import module is working for ttf files

Sweet! Do you convert tt outlines to cff?

> Export module is working with fontmake

Great

> Activation/Deactivation module is done

Awesome. Is the star button fixed?

> I started adding making changes to the UI for "creating a new font" but
ended up adding a lot more around it, I'll make a blog post about it later
> it still requires a little debugging so no gif today

Looking forward to it :)

> what I plan to do next:
> sort out the bugs in the UI and make a blog post about the new features

Yes!

> for importing UFO files Trufont asks for a link to the metainfo.plist
file which has an "application/x-plist" MIME type, so also going to use that

Sounds good enough for a first pass. I think in the second round, ufoz
makes more sense, then its a single file. Additionally, we could get Sugar
to understand nextstep bundles but its a rathole.

> questions:
> What all information is needed in the Create New Font Form?
> this is what I currently have:
> Family name,

Yes, ask for this

> style name,

Only have "Regular" for now

> version,

1.000

> trademark,

Blank

> author info,

Copyright $year The $familyname Authors.

> license,

Use,

This Font Software is licensed under the SIL Open Font License, Version
1.1. This license is available with a FAQ at: http://scripts.sil.org/OFL
> license URL

Use,

http://scripts.sil.org/OFL

> cap height,

800

> x-height,

500

> ascender,

800

> descender,

-200

> units per em

1000

> or should I shorten the list?

These defaults make a short list :)

> Similarly, what all info for creating a new glyph?

Just a glyph name.

Please file an issue for a second round that the input should allow a space
separated list of names to create a bunch at once, if this is not easy for
you to add in the first round (ie, tomorrow)

Then, you can guess unicode values from the names using
https://github.com/LettError/glyphNameFormatter/ - and else when the code
can't guess, leave it blank.

Please file an issue for the someday/later milestone to add some UI for
checking the encoding of glyphs and correcting them.