[Sugar-devel] [GSOC] Font Editor Next Steps

Dave Crossland dave at lab6.com
Fri Jun 17 11:56:49 EDT 2016

Hi

Good progress this week, but PLEASE do keep up with the daily 3 line email.
I will note how many days you've worked and how many daily reports that you
agreed to send were made in your midterm evaluation :)

The blog ☺ https://sugarlabs.github.io/edit-fonts-activity/ had a good run
of posts at the start, but last 2-3 weeks has been very dry. I would like
to see something like
https://sugarlabs.github.io/edit-fonts-activity/week-1-work at the end of
each week going forwards, including one for today.

I think the UI/UX is coming together nicely, and Eli and I can do user
testing with what you have, and iterate it.

I think your main job for the next week is to make the core
new/load/save/import/export methods work. Once they are working well, then
move on to the core methods needed to edit a glyph: editing the points is
1/2 of that, and editing the sidebearings is the other half. Probably
sidebearings is easier than points :)

For editing points, there is

0. adding new points to make a new contour (a "pen tool")

1. repositioning existing points

2. adding new points to existing contours

3. removing points from a contour that 'breaks' an closed contour into an
open one

4. 'merging' points, where they are removed from a closed contour without
breaking it open

Imagine you are using it for the first time: you need to make a new font,
add some glyphs, add some contours to those glyphs, move their points
around and set their sidebearings, save your work in a UFO, export your
font as a OTF, install the OTF in the system, and use it in another
activity.

When you can do that, you'll have a v1.0 :)

Cheers
Dave