[Sugar-devel] [GSOC] Font Editor Next Steps

Dave Crossland dave at lab6.com
Tue Jul 19 19:10:40 EDT 2016

On 19 July 2016 at 14:05, Yash Agarwal <agrwal.ysh94 at gmail.com> wrote:

> 1. There is a issue with the Character Map, clicking on the glyphs doesn't
> take you to the right glyph the second time

It seems that going to the main glyph grid then clicking a glyph will take
you to that glyph, but when in a glyph, clicking the glyphs in the row at
the top, doesn't take you anywhere.

> 2. The Glyphs are not updated when they are edited for the 2nd time

That seems to be fixed! :) Each time I edit the glyph it is updated in the
glyph grid.

> 3. Activation of the font needs to be done on a separate thread, the
> application hangs for about 20 seconds [this is on a i7, I'm assuming that
> it will be much slower on a XO]

I couldn't tell how to activate the font :)

> 4. The Saving of the font has to be done within a zip file for the
> activity to make a proper journal entry, I have worked on this earlier but
> this is not working as it should and leads to a activity crash

Okay cool :)

I think with less than 4 weeks remaining, let's focus on a simple user
story that make it possible to play with typeface design :)

I suggest to address the issues you described above, and share another XO
that allows this user story to be followed:

You open a UFO of Geo Regular (10 mins to make a UFO of this and bundle it
in the activity :)

see the 101 glyphs available, from
https://github.com/google/fonts/blob/master/tools/encodings/latin_unique-glyphs.nam#L3-L103
 (done)

open a glyph, (done)

move the existing points around (done)
save your work in a UFOZ to the journal,
export your font as a OTF (using font family name "$USER"),
install the OTF in the system,
and use it in another activity.

When we can follow that user story, then we can evaluate next steps :)

I've set up time to work with Eli again on Saturday. Will you be available
Saturday evening? :)