[Sugar-devel] Translations

Nick Doiron ndoiron at mapmeld.com
Sat Feb 20 21:05:50 EST 2016

Hi everyone... I'm in the Unicode Consortium so I'm happy to help work out
i18n tech issues in our Sugary ecosystem.

On the original point, I agree with Tony that it would be valuable to hire
an i18n/l10n point person. This funding has been around for a while without
any one person responsible for shipping it. You might want additional
support or conversation, from Open Technology Fund, Localization Lab, or
Adobe, for the position and workshops.
I'd like to see some people narrowing down where they know we need a
translation. If you can say *I know a teacher who wants this *or* we use
this activity in Language A and want it in Language B, *we should be able
to deliver that.  There are interesting politics and discussions here, but
the funding is for translating and not for not-translating.

Technology side: it matters if you're translating Sugar, core Sugar
activities, additional activities, or Sugarizer. This is essential because
they're different programs at different levels of completeness, in use by
different people.
- Sugar and core activities have been ready from the beginning using
gettext and accepting translations on Pootle. I don't see that changing,
unless we want to use GitHub to reach younger developers.
- Additional activities: you would need to look on a case-by-case basis, to
see if text was hardcoded. Also you need special attention if language is
part of the activity, as in typing tutors, flipbooks, or crossword puzzles.
Tangential blog post:
https://medium.com/@mapmeld/crosswords-in-burmese-f672ae583649
- I did some research, and Sugarizer has three translation files, including
this master file: https://github.com/llaske/sugarizer/blob/master/locale.ini
Other web-based activities should use Polyglot.js from Airbnb; it's cool.

Nick