[Sugar-devel] Docker in Sugar/XO laptop

Sam P. sam.parkinson3 at gmail.com
Sat May 23 03:25:50 EDT 2015

Hi,

I'm not sure why docker is a requirement for developing web applications.

Setting up a docker image requires lots of storage space and lots of
download - docker stores a full os to chroot or whatever into.  Even with
there cool CoW file systems, docker still needs to store a least 1 Linux
distribution image.  XOs do not have the disk space and most people do not
have the internet speed.  (Even with a reasonable residential connection it
is nowhere near fast enough to use docker - I find myself ssh-ing into a
server instead)

I'm also not sure why docker needs a gui.  Docker is not a tool needed by
any beginner programmer of the likes of that.  Docker is mainly a tool for
systems administration or containerizing things.

Maybe an interface to pip as part of Pippy activity would be more helpful
for letting kids make web apps.

Thanks,
Sam