[Sugar-devel] Physics-26 on Sugar 0.104 on XO-1

Gary Martin gary at garycmartin.com
Wed May 13 22:01:24 EDT 2015

Hi James,

> On 13 May 2015, at 23:13, James Cameron <quozl at laptop.org> wrote:
>
> On Wed, May 13, 2015 at 06:51:02AM -0400, Adam Holt wrote:
>> A [...] XO-1 has issues with Physics on 13.2.4 -- I don't have
>> details yet (I hope [n] can report more what happened) but has
>> anybody else had recent problems with the Physics activity in
>> general?
>
> OLPC OS 13.2.4 has Physics-26 on Sugar 0.104.  Physics was not in any
> previous XO-1 release.
>
> For me, it tests out fine.
> For some people, it may seem slow.
>
> On an XO-1 the CPU is pushed very hard by Physics.  This will cause:
>
> 1.  every other activity to perform badly, if Physics is not stopped
> before moving to another activity; so make sure you stop Physics
> carefully,

It’s been a while since I was working on the activity code, but I did spend quite some time detecting and debugging when Physics was not the activity in current focus, and minimise its cpu usage (stops all physics calculations and any buffer redrawing). It does still continue to consume a little cpu (pygame run loop), along with perhaps memory it was using. I was certainly testing/developing on XO-1 as the primary use case, so if it is really making other activities perform badly while it is in the background then there may be some environment regression related to events being passed/triggered (it watches _focus_event and _window_event to help spot if it is in_focus).

Regards,
—Gary