[Sugar-devel] Physics-26 on Sugar 0.104 on XO-1

James Cameron quozl at laptop.org
Wed May 13 18:13:32 EDT 2015

On Wed, May 13, 2015 at 06:51:02AM -0400, Adam Holt wrote:
> A [...] XO-1 has issues with Physics on 13.2.4 -- I don't have
> details yet (I hope [n] can report more what happened) but has
> anybody else had recent problems with the Physics activity in
> general?

OLPC OS 13.2.4 has Physics-26 on Sugar 0.104.  Physics was not in any
previous XO-1 release.

For me, it tests out fine.
For some people, it may seem slow.

On an XO-1 the CPU is pushed very hard by Physics.  This will cause:

1.  every other activity to perform badly, if Physics is not stopped
before moving to another activity; so make sure you stop Physics
carefully,

2.  sudden power down if the battery is near flat, or damaged; so make
sure you have plugged in the laptop, and watch out for age related
battery failures, which should have hit the XO-1 population by now,

3.  massive slow down if the heat spreader has come loose; so get the
laptop serviced and check the heat spreader is properly screwed down.

See http://wiki.laptop.org/go/Reuse_checklist

Comparing XO-1.5 and XO-1, the performance of Physics is consistent
with the CPU speed and bandwidth of the graphics drivers.

Learners will rapidly figure out that the flickering cursor correlates
to too many objects on screen.  ;-)

Rainbow pooing unicorns are extra.  Pay up.

--
James Cameron
http://quozl.linux.org.au/