[Sugar-devel] Community XO software builds

Samuel Greenfeld samuel at greenfeld.org
Fri May 8 02:18:38 EDT 2015

There are at least two types of "deployments"/"customers" that Sugar has.

The first is the small, volunteer group.  To them, it doesn't matter what
OS they actually are using, or (to some extent) how well tested things
are.  They just want to come in, try something with their students, and if
they need to tweak something or something breaks, it's no big deal.

The second is the large deployment.  And large deployments, like large
corporations, do not want to deploy Sugar widely unless they have a chance
to thoroughly check it out.

First, they might investigate a bit to see who currently uses Sugar, and if
there are any other users they can get recommendations from.  Then they
might look into Sugar Labs, asking about Sugar's history, what warranties
were available, the future roadmap for features, etc.  They may insist on
having a face-to-face meeting with a Sugar representative, where they could
ask detailed questions.

You might laugh but when the OLPC Association was actively answering bids
for laptops, this dance happened all the time.

When large corporations sell things to each other, support can be
everything.  It doesn't mean that they are going to use it.  But if they
need a patch for critical bug on the President's laptop, or the latest
Shellshock or Heartbleed that their bosses' boss' saw in the news, they
want to have something or someone they can point to definitely get support.

Very few deployments have invested in the resources to internally make
their own OS images at that level of detail.

I don't want to go into it too much in this email, but dealing with large
organizations can be a very different thing.