[Sugar-devel] Community XO software builds

Tony Anderson tony_anderson at usa.net
Thu May 7 02:41:21 EDT 2015

It would be helpful to have more specifics.

The problem with videos on the XO-1 is the speed of the processor and
the bit-rate of the videos. As with all Linux distributions, the codecs
are available for installation by the user. The process for doing this
for the XO has been documented many times on these lists. Installation
of the codecs does not require a local repository or an os-builder. It
can be done with a simple bash script (and the necessary files).

The only solution I can see is to reprocess videos to reduce the
bit-rate. It would be valuable if someone would experiment with videos
from YouTube to determine a realistic processing capability for the XO
(should differ by model), and to publish the conversion parameters to
produce videos within those limits (e.g for ffmpeg).

Naturally, this solution does not work for casual browsing of YouTube.
However, I believe our primary goal to provide better educational
opporunities on the other side of the digital divide - where this
routine access to the internet is not available.  This means the
deployment has a fixed set of available videos which could be
reprocessed to play smoothly.

I am not aware of any reported problems with Browse, which as the
gateway to the schoolserver is the most-used activity in the deployments
which I support. Naturally, the users at these deployments do not have
experience with the internet or with other browsers. I can't imagine
anyone at these deployments being aware of the switch to Webkit, for
example. They accept that the home page consists of a set of non-working
links to the internet and that the only relevant one for them is the
'local schoolserver'. (an obvious challenge for web confusion is to
design a more interesting and useful page).

OLE Nepal continues to use Firefox for E-Paath based on the inability of
Browse with Gnash to provide adequate support for Flash activities. The
Webkit version of Browse supports the E-Paath activities but there is no
compelling advantage to change from Firefox. So, the deployments which
are unhappy with Browse could install Firefox.

Tony