[Sugar-devel] GSoC 2015 Project

James Cameron quozl at laptop.org
Fri Mar 6 14:33:35 EST 2015

On Fri, Mar 06, 2015 at 08:39:33AM -0500, Walter Bender wrote:
> On Fri, Mar 6, 2015 at 5:18 AM, Sam P. <sam.parkinson3 at gmail.com> wrote:
> > G'day Anish,
> >
> > Just a quick explanation of these projects.  They are all based around
> > existing activities (apps) available for sugar.  These activities are
> > written in python, so can only run in sugar and not on the web.  The tasks
> > are all about making a HTML5 version of these activities.
> >
> > I would recommend setting up a development environment [1] and then
> > downloading the activities you mentioned:
> >
> >     Physics:  https://activities-2.sugarlabs.org/view/org.laptop.physics
> >     Turtle 3D:
> > https://activities-2.sugarlabs.org/view/org.laptop.TurtleArtActivity3D
> >     Basic activities:  You can use the search box... hopefully it doesn't
> > break between now and when you get the email :)
> > https://activities-2.sugarlabs.org/
> >
> > Also, about turtle3D, it would be interesting trying to keep it compatible
> > with XO.  The XO does not support OpenGL and has no hope for WebGL.  Could
> > you get compatibility for those environments?
>
> Not sure we need to maintain that restriction. We have the Python/GTK
> version of Turtle 3D for the XO. I think we can push a bit into new
> areas with the JS version.

Agreed.

The XO-4 can support OpenGL ES 2.0 in hardware, and OpenGL in
software, but coding to this performance level probably isn't a good
idea for Sugar's future.

Still, it would be nice if the activity can detect if it is being used
on a system with inadequate OpenGL frame rate (such as Mesa on power
conservative processors), and report the problem rather than plough on
regardless.

--
James Cameron
http://quozl.linux.org.au/