[Sugar-devel] Tuxmath

Tony Anderson tony_anderson at usa.net
Tue Jun 2 23:37:47 EDT 2015

Obviously, Ubuntu is non-starter for an XO deployment.

There are deployments which require signed images (e.g. Rwanda).

The original idea in Sugar was that activities needed to satisfy any
software dependencies not supplied by Sugar. The tuxmath-2.xo met that
requirement up to 0.94.

For example, geogebra depends on jre and supplied that dependency. If
use of geogebra requires installation of jre in the image then every XO
will use the required storage whether geogebra is installed or not.

The obvious problem is that activities which depend on object modules
work only on the XO-1 and XO-1.5. In the original spirit, this would
mean two (or more) versions of an activity - one for the x86 and one for
arm.

Another change is that with an XO-1 running on an SD card, there may be
free storage available to include these packages in the build. The
addition of these packages must be an official part of the signed image
so that activities can be modified to use them. This would mean that
deployments of XO-1 would have to acquire SD cards for each laptop (in
Rwanda there are thousands of XO-1s deployed so the cost to acqure and
to distribute the SD cards is not trivial).

In addition to what Gonzalo said in earlier reply, this need to change
the .info file was fixed for Sugar 0.105.0, so please upgrade.  What's
your upgrade plan?  Have you made sure the next version of Sugar will
meet your needs?

At the moment, the deployments I am working with are using 12.2.1 on the
XO-1 and 13.2.1 on the other models. I hope to upgrade for the next
version of BERNIE for the next school year (by the Malaysia Summit). I
expect that the image at that point will be based on Fedora 22 and so
will require extensive testing. I had hoped to use an SD card with each
model so I could be able to boot the current image or the new image as
needed for troubleshooting. When I installed the newer images they
ignored the SD card and flashed the internal store. What might work is
running the current builds on the SD card. However, the install of the
newer images updates the firmware which may make it impossible to run
the older releases.

I am working on a method to test the ASLO activities to see which are
still viable. In the case of GCompris, the 'unsustainable' install
technique works well so the 100 GCompris activities in ASLO are not
needed. This still leaves about 300 to be tested. So far I have been
unable to get any Sugar Web Activity to work - it appears that Sugar is
not displaying the index.html (For example, when I display the
index.html of the Web Welcome in Browse, it works as expected; however,
launching from the list/home view shows no errors, but nothing appears
on the screen.

Tony