[Sugar-devel] [DESIGN RFC] Onboarding

Tony Anderson tony_anderson at usa.net
Mon Dec 28 00:32:59 EST 2015

Hi, James

This issue of supporting more than one user per machine is very
important in the wild (not many deployments can afford literally one
laptop per
child and so provide classroom sets with each laptop having multiple users.

On registration, a new user is created server-side: the serial number of
the laptop. This is used for login to Moodle but more
importantly for backup of the Journal and for ejabberd (association
between nick and serial-number).

It would be relatively easy to make the registration procedure create a
username account on the school server and to
backup to and restore from that account. Moodle can be fixed relatively
easily. I am not familiar with the details of ejabberd and
collaboration so that will require some research

I'll be able to give this serious attention when I get back to the
Philippines in
late January. You have created a very exciting opportunity for Sugar.

Tony