[Sugar-devel] [DESIGN RFC] Onboarding

James Cameron quozl at laptop.org
Sun Dec 27 16:51:05 EST 2015

Thanks Sam!

I like the design.  It reminds me of one we discussed in Netrek
development at about the same phase of the project lifecycle; long
after the peak of interest.

It doesn't look like it would be much programming.

It could involve sound as well; as reinforcement of each goal.

It could show progress more clearly; a series of "achievements" which
are "unlocked".

Trivial text layout error in the design makes reading it difficult;
most visible in the "Interface Design" text before the next image,
where forced line breaks occur, after "yet" and "overlays".  Probably
caused by browser width not varied in testing.

Some hasty JavaScript might show animation of hotspot engagement.

A definition of onboard may be useful.

I'm interested in seeing more.

--

Tony raises some important problems, several of which are not
functions of Sugar, but of software integration choices made by Sugar

A school server with accounts, a login greeter on the laptop
integrated with the authentication server, and a locally cached
network filesystem?  Perhaps the school server guys and gals could
look into it?

Meanwhile, in my experience, Sugar handles multiple login users very
well already.

--
James Cameron
http://quozl.netrek.org/