[Sugar-devel] About My Computer

James Cameron quozl at laptop.org
Sun Apr 12 18:14:23 EDT 2015

G'day,

In recent OLPC builds I've been carrying a patch to About My Computer
which is mostly XO laptop specific.

Some of my changes are to support manufacturing verification; to
ensure that the components in the system are as planned.

I've not proposed the patch upstream, because I'm not sure what parts
are useful to others.

Now, I'm asking for feedback from Sugar developers.

The patch does these things:

- show model and SKU for an XO laptop by reading manufacturing data,

- show EC firmware version,

- show wireless driver, card, and capability in terms of IEEE 802.11,
  (though it is missing XO-1 support, and makes capability assumptions
  based on firmware and driver),

- simplify access to device tree data, factoring redundant code,

- fix a performance regression; it was taking several seconds to start
  and display, and this was reduced to a quarter second, by backing
  out an earlier change, see http://dev.laptop.org/ticket/12856

The patch cannot be taken as is because:

- it will display incorrect data on systems other than XO laptops.

You can find the patch in the builder:

http://dev.laptop.org/git/projects/olpc-os-builder/tree/modules/sugar/kspost.91.patch.inc?id=d38d9608d96a34b768c2cce88a0f618d1143c485

--
James Cameron