[Sugar-devel] Programming in Python or as a Web Activity ?

Manuel Quiñones manuq at laptop.org
Fri Jan 24 09:34:04 EST 2014

2014/1/24 laurent bernabe <laurent.bernabe at gmail.com>

> Thank you,
>
> The most challenging task that I am facing in my development beginning, is to get the libraries easel.js and tween.js work as shim dependencies of require.js. In fact, I think I could read require.js documentation thousands of times, I won't be able to get started.

I have created a bootstrap activity for you:
https://github.com/manuq/createjs-activity-bootstrap

The bad thing with CreateJS is that they don't support AMD yet.  But see
https://github.com/CreateJS/EaselJS/wiki/Using-easeljs-and-tweenjs-with-requirejs.
 What worked for me:

./osbuild shell
volo create my-game ./sugar-web-template
cd my-game/lib
wget http://code.createjs.com/easeljs-0.7.1.min.js
mv easeljs-0.7.1.min.js easeljs.js
wget http://code.createjs.com/tweenjs-0.5.1.min.js
mv tweenjs-0.5.1.min.js tweenjs.js

And see the changes I did:
https://github.com/manuq/createjs-activity-bootstrap/commit/79f4e4ed730c71cf42bfa0419f109718fb598fcb

> The other problem, is that I need to put a real canvas element inside the <div id="canvas"> ... but I don't know which size I must give to the canvas in order to fit the sugar Window client area (without the toolbar).

CreateJS does that for you.

> At last, and for that they are plenty of documentations, Javascript OOP development is a bit trikier than the Python/Java OOP development

I have the feeling that I responded this to you already, no?

> So, how can I go further, at least with points 1) and 2) ?
>
> Regards
>

> 2014/1/24 Daniel Narvaez <dwnarvaez at gmail.com>
>>
>> Try to share the issues you have been having with web activities, someone might be able to help.
>>
>> Android has probably better API and documentation then gtk, but then it won't run on Sugar.
>>
>> On Friday, 24 January 2014, laurent bernabe <laurent.bernabe at gmail.com> wrote:
>>>
>>> Hello everyone,
>>>
>>> I've started a new Web project (ChessLearning), but it seems that Web development is not my best skills. However, before turning it into a Python app, I am wondering whether I should do my best to fit the Web Activity development.
>>>
>>> For example, I think of an easier Android port, but am I wrong when I say that it is better than Python for that ?
>>>
>>> On the other side, Python + GTK3 programming is very hard, as the GTK3 library is not so easy to get used to, and Python version is not as well documented as the C one (Gnome developers fault).
>>>
>>> So, I know that may be more a decision of mine, but, what do you advise me ?
>>>
>>> Regards,
>>>
>>> Laurent Bernabé
>>

>> --
>> Daniel Narvaez