[Sugar-devel] Fwd: French keyboard map for XO-4 non-membrane keyboard

James Cameron quozl at laptop.org
Sun Dec 14 15:06:38 EST 2014

On Fri, Dec 12, 2014 at 09:54:49PM +0100, Lionel Laské wrote:
> (Sorry, probably not the right for this question list but
> [1]lists.laptop.org seems to be down)

Yes.  Reuben is working on it.

> We're starting a small XO-4 deployment (25 XO) in a school in
> France.  We want to switch the English (US international) keyboard
> to a French one (AZERTY).  Of course, I know it means that we'll
> need to use stickers to cover the current keyboard.
> BTW I would like to know how to do that at the software level:
> - Is it possible into the firmware ? For example, changing a tag
> - Is it possible from the command line ? I had no luck with
> setxkbmap fr command.

Yes, change tags, before the first boot.  At ok prompt:

ok tags(
ok delete-tag KL
ok add-tag KL fr
ok delete-tag LO
ok add-tag LO fr_FR.UTF-8
ok )tags \ laptop will reboot

Or, change tags, and force olpc-configure to re-run, by removing
/.olpc-configured and /home/olpc/.olpc-configured marker files.

For your situation the tags to change are:

- KL for the keyboard,

- LO for display language.

For your situation, the tags KM and KV should not change.

See read_config in olpc-configure
http://dev.laptop.org/git/projects/olpc-utils/tree/usr/sbin/olpc-configure#n103

http://wiki.laptop.org/go/Manufacturing_data may be a useful set of
data for comparison.