[Sugar-devel] [DESIGN] optional automatic updates

Sam Parkinson sam.parkinson3 at gmail.com
Wed Aug 6 05:20:31 EDT 2014

Hi,

On Wed, Aug 6, 2014 at 10:34 AM, Martin Abente <
martin.abente.lahaye at gmail.com> wrote:

Hello everyone,

> A few development cycles ago, dsd added a useful new feature: automatic
> activities updates. This has been of great help in deployments such as in
> Australia. However, because the current implementation will always update
> or install activities (when working in automatic mode), some deployments
> might be unable to use this feature. A real case scenario is when some of
> the activities are too big for massive activities updates.
>
> That sounds like a great idea! I think that automatic updates of any scale
can only be positive for sugar!

I don’t know a lot about the way the microformater thing works, but from
what I’ve seen it seems to be pretty network intense. It seems to make 1
HTTP request per activity! This seems to be a lot of overhead! Maybe we
could make a proxy thing that sits on the same server and works like this:

Client  --List of activities-->  | Proxy --Individual activity
requests--> Server |

      Slow Internet              |          Fast Connection (Same
Machine)        |

Also is the server meant to be mirrored by schools (on lan) or deployments?
A school version could reduce network traffic even more.

It looks like a good change :)

Sam
​