[Sugar-devel] Adding compatibility in webactivity to webkit1

Daniel Narvaez dwnarvaez at gmail.com
Thu Nov 28 15:24:51 EST 2013

I'm unconvinced that it will be a short term workaround. It will be hard to
get rid of.

We are implicitly adding support for webkit 1.8 (API 1) to sugar-web. We
might have to write sugar-web code which is webkit1 specific. People will
write activities which runs on 1.8. They will use non
forward-compatible APIs. They will cut and paste python wrappers to run on
webkit1. For a long time webkit <= 1.8 will be the main platform really,
given the deployments situation.

I think this is an important decision. Even if it's not our intention we
will either send the message that we would like people to start using the
web toolkit on deployed software or that it's still a cutting edge
technology, targeted to developers and very recent software. The are
advantages and disadvantages of both approaches, the point is more that we
should be aware of the choice we are making.

--
Daniel Narvaez