[Sugar-devel] sugar-build after osbuild change report

Daniel Narvaez dwnarvaez at gmail.com
Mon May 20 05:34:18 EDT 2013

On 20 May 2013 10:48, Daniel Narvaez <dwnarvaez at gmail.com> wrote:

> On 20 May 2013 10:12, Simon Schampijer <simon at schampijer.de> wrote:
>
>> Hi,
>>
>> I had a sugar-build repo before the osbuild change. I did a git pull in
>> my sugar-build directory and then run ./osbuild help.
>>
>> I got the following:
>>
>> [erikos at t61 sugar-build]$ ./osbuild --help
>> Installing virtualenv...
>> Done.
>> /home/erikos/sugar-build/**build/out/sandbox/install/bin/**python: can't
>> open file '/home/erikos/sugar-build/**build/commands/--help': [Errno 2]
>> No such file or directory
>> [erikos at t61 sugar-build]$
>>

> Looks like a bug, will fix.

I made it print a link to the docs (still temporary until
developer.sugarlabs.org is up) whenever you pass something which is not a
command. I'd rather not maintain two lists of available commands.

>> [sugar-build sugar-build]$ ./osbuild pull
>>

> Note that you are inside a shell here. You should just "pull". (I wonder
> if the docs are wrong now). That *might* actually break things so we should
> probably check and refuse to run osbuild inside a shell.

I made it complain. Also the docs looks fine in this respect to me but if
you find any place where it suggest to run osbuild inside a shell let me
know.

> [sugar-build sugar-build]$ ./osbuild build
>

>> = Clean =
>>
>> * Emptying install directory
>> * Cleaning automake
>> * Cleaning glib
>> * Cleaning gobject-introspection
>> * Cleaning pygobject
>> * Cleaning dbus-python
>> * Cleaning libsoup
>> * Cleaning webkitgtk
>> * Cleaning gwebsockets
>> * Cleaning node
>> * Cleaning grunt-cli
>> * Cleaning volo
>> * Cleaning karma
>> * Cleaning jshint
>> * Cleaning docker
>> * Cleaning json-format
>> * Cleaning flake8
>> * Cleaning sugar-docs
>> * Cleaning sugar-toolkit-gtk3
>> * Cleaning sugar
>> * Cleaning sugar-artwork
>> * Cleaning sugar-datastore
>> * Cleaning gst-plugins-espeak
>> * Cleaning sugar-runner
>> * Cleaning sugar-html-datastore
>> * Cleaning sugar-html-template
>> * Cleaning sugar-html-bus
>> * Cleaning sugar-html-activity
>> * Cleaning sugar-html-graphics
>> * Cleaning browse
>> * Cleaning chat
>> * Cleaning read
>> * Cleaning log
>> * Cleaning terminal
>> * Cleaning pippy
>> * Cleaning imageviewer
>> * Cleaning jukebox
>> * Deleting state
>>
>> = Pulling =
>>
>> * Pulling libsoup
>> * Pulling webkitgtk
>> * Pulling gwebsockets
>> * Pulling node
>> * Pulling grunt-cli
>> * Pulling volo
>> * Pulling karma
>> * Pulling jshint
>> * Pulling docker
>> * Pulling json-format
>> * Pulling flake8
>> * Pulling sugar-docs
>> * Pulling sugar-toolkit-gtk3
>> * Pulling sugar
>>
>> Oh, no it cleans my copy of webkitgtk...? :/
>>

> If you pulled latest sugar-build you will have to rebuild webkitgtk anyway
> I'm afraid, because of the various changes I made.
>
> I've seen it doing a clean before a build. I need to find a way to
> reproduce. I have the impression it only happens if the build is actually
> clean already though (which might have been your case because the  build
> directory has been moved in recent sugar-build), so at least it shouldn't
> hurt for real.

So, we have a mechanism to trigger a full build, by cleaning everything
before, when there has been changes that made it necessary. In your case
I'd say that mechanism has been triggered correctly, even if not quite
intentionally!

Though this mechanism was also incorrectly triggered by a "clean; build".
In that case we would clean two times, it wouldn't really change anything
but it would be confusing. So I fixed that case now.

Thanks for the great bug report!