[Sugar-devel] Fwd: Proposal on how to speed up patch reviews

Manuel Quiñones manuq at laptop.org
Wed Mar 27 11:23:15 EDT 2013

2013/3/27 Daniel Narvaez <dwnarvaez at gmail.com>:
> On 26 March 2013 21:55, Manuel Quiñones <manuq at laptop.org> wrote:
>> Right Daniel, could be.  At some point of the gtk3 port and touch
>> feature development it became a waste of efforts to bother the list
>> with our patches.  It was like a theatre play, Simon or me sending a
>> patch, the other ack-ing or nack-ing, no other actor intervening.  And
>> we wanted to speed up that transition.
>>
>> But yes I'd favor going back to post the patches on the mailing list.
>> Or maybe better, discuss the tickets in the mailing list without
>> posting the patches here.  Could be any of both, as the sender
>> prefers.  I personally prefer to have my patches in the tracker.
>
> Why do you prefer to have them in the tracker? And how would you feel
> about a pull request based workflow?

Note this is very personal:  for me it is easier to store my patches
in the tracker whlie I work on a bug or feature.

- It could be ongoing work, not yet in shape to publish on the mailing list

- The attachment serves me as a backup

- Is easy for another dev to get them and apply, for test, review or
improve.  Is easy for me to do the same with someone else's patch

- I use webmail (gmail) and althrough git-send-mail is easy to
configure, applying someone else's patch is more difficult.  I always
end copy/pasting the email text.

- Going through the archive to find a patch is a pain.  Having a
ticket number to track it is easier.

I know all this can be replaced by a fork & pull workflow, and I'm
used to do that in github.  But gitorius interface is not as good as
github, in my opinion.  By the way, if we have consensus for a fork &
pull workflow, I have no problem switching.

--
.. manuq ..