[Sugar-devel] [ASLO] Release Music Keyboard-6

Gonzalo Odiard gonzalo at laptop.org
Wed Mar 27 07:27:41 EDT 2013

On Wed, Mar 27, 2013 at 7:38 AM, Simon Schampijer <simon at schampijer.de>wrote:

> On 03/21/2013 08:06 PM, Sugar Labs Activities wrote:
>
>> Activity Homepage:
>> http://activities.sugarlabs.**org/addon/4654<http://activities.sugarlabs.org/addon/4654>
>>
>> Sugar Platform:
>> 0.98 - 0.98
>>
>> Download Now:
>> http://activities.sugarlabs.**org/downloads/file/28522/**
>> music_keyboard-6.xo<http://activities.sugarlabs.org/downloads/file/28522/music_keyboard-6.xo>
>>
>> Release notes:
>> This activity show a piano keyboard, and in devices with touch screen,
>> can be used to play music. Can be used with a xo keyboard too, showing the
>> played note in the screen.
>>

>> Sugar Labs Activities
>> http://activities.sugarlabs.**org <http://activities.sugarlabs.org>
>>

> Thanks Gonzalo for working on this awesome addition to the activity suite.
> I played a bit with it today and here a few feedback items:

Thanks!. Can we add it to the favorite activities in the new images to
expose it to more testers?

> - the initially selected instrument is not selected, when I change the
> instrument, it is selected fine. As the widget to select an instrument is a
> list depending on the selection you can not always see the selected
> instrument, maybe you want to show the currently selected instrument as
> well in the toolbar or make that clear by other means

Agree. We need think how is the best way to show the selected instrument. I
don't like put labels in the toolbar, but in this case, may be is not a
problem.

> - it is great that you can show different labels on the keyboard, the icon
> for the hardware keyboard mode is not really clear maybe you can reuse the
> icon from the Sugar control panel, I would add tooltips to the icons (they
> should hide automatically when you click the icon, recent fixes have anded
> for this in the sugar-toolkit-gtk3), finding good text for the tooltip
> involves a bit of research I guess [1], it would be great to have no-labels
> at all mode as well

Good. About the tooltips, I was not sure about the scales denomination. In
some places, the scales with letters is named "German" and in other is
"American" ! The scale starting in "DO" can be named Latin, but is not
really clear for me and there are a lot of changes by countries and in the
history. See:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Musical_note

> - when I hold down 'w' and 'r' pressing 't' will not give any visual or
> musical feedback - 'y' or 'u' does work, same that 'z' and 'c' work but 'x'
> does not when holding down 'w' and 'r' at the same time

Good catch. Requires research.

> - sound: this is a question for the OLPC audio developers, there is a lot
> of noise and clipping while playing - would be fantastic to fix this as well

Yes.

> Future-future: it would be great to show the corresponding note in the
> musical representation [2], [...] recording would be nice, play-along [...]
> but that probably let the scope of the activity explode :)

+1 and +1
May be we can propose these as tasks to GSoC.