[Sugar-devel] [ASLO] Release Music Keyboard-6

Simon Schampijer simon at schampijer.de
Wed Mar 27 06:38:39 EDT 2013

On 03/21/2013 08:06 PM, Sugar Labs Activities wrote:
> Activity Homepage:
> http://activities.sugarlabs.org/addon/4654
>
> Sugar Platform:
> 0.98 - 0.98
>
> Download Now:
> http://activities.sugarlabs.org/downloads/file/28522/music_keyboard-6.xo
>
> Release notes:
> This activity show a piano keyboard, and in devices with touch screen, can be used to play music. Can be used with a xo keyboard too, showing the played note in the screen.
>

> Sugar Labs Activities
> http://activities.sugarlabs.org

Thanks Gonzalo for working on this awesome addition to the activity
suite. I played a bit with it today and here a few feedback items:

- the initially selected instrument is not selected, when I change the
instrument, it is selected fine. As the widget to select an instrument
is a list depending on the selection you can not always see the selected
instrument, maybe you want to show the currently selected instrument as
well in the toolbar or make that clear by other means

- it is great that you can show different labels on the keyboard, the
icon for the hardware keyboard mode is not really clear maybe you can
reuse the icon from the Sugar control panel, I would add tooltips to the
icons (they should hide automatically when you click the icon, recent
fixes have anded for this in the sugar-toolkit-gtk3), finding good text
for the tooltip involves a bit of research I guess [1], it would be
great to have no-labels at all mode as well

- when I hold down 'w' and 'r' pressing 't' will not give any visual or
musical feedback - 'y' or 'u' does work, same that 'z' and 'c' work but
'x' does not when holding down 'w' and 'r' at the same time

- sound: this is a question for the OLPC audio developers, there is a
lot of noise and clipping while playing - would be fantastic to fix this
as well

Future-future: it would be great to show the corresponding note in the
musical representation [2], [...] recording would be nice, play-along
[...] but that probably let the scope of the activity explode :)

Regards,
    Simon

[1] https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Do_%28musical_note%29
[2] https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/File:Middle_C.png