[Sugar-devel] [DESIGN] Feature "Enhanced support for 3G modems"

James Cameron quozl at laptop.org
Tue Jul 2 19:07:31 EDT 2013

Reviewing the GUI, I'm not sure I understand the intention of this
opening statement:

"You will need to provide the following information to set up a mobile
broadband connection to a cellular (3G) network"

It is ambiguous.  To whom should I provide this information?  My
teacher?  My broadband device seller?  My broadband service?  No, I
need not provide any information at all, I'm supposed to configure the
computer.

The opening predicts an action; "You will need to" can be removed and
the sentence probably still has the same meanings.

By mentioning mobile, you exclude the possibility of use with a fixed
broadband device.  The devices need not move around to work.

Also, by mentioning 3G, and showing a default 2G, there's an
implication here that a 4G network cannot be used.  This isn't true; a
4G network should work fine with this GUI.

--
James Cameron
http://quozl.linux.org.au/