[Sugar-devel] Collaboration API (was Re: HTML5 Activities page on the Wiki)

Daniel Narvaez dwnarvaez at gmail.com
Tue Apr 30 12:15:28 EDT 2013

On 30 April 2013 17:05, Bert Freudenberg <bert at freudenbergs.de> wrote:

> If you google "javascript dbus" you will find several bindings.

Yeah, I've been looking for a while :) Unfortunately I don't think there is
anything that would work in Webkit2 (and they all seem a bit dead). Might
be possible to make them work without an huge effort, I have not
investigated.

> But since you are implementing the HTML activity framework in Python
> anyway you wouldn't even need that.

You mean like this

Web content -> Python activity -> Shell -> Telepathy

?

What we have discussed so far is actually

Web content -> Python activity -> Telepathy

or

Web content -> Shell -> Telepathy.

> It's also worrying that one of the reason to deprecate the old Presence
> Service seems to have been avoiding the extra IPC layer, which we would be
> reintroducing here.
>
> So how would your Javascript API work, if not via IPC?

Well, via IPC but it could talk directly to Telepathy rather than going
through the sugar shell first.

I actually tend to think we should go through the shell, it just bothers me
that we tried something similar before and we abandoned that approach.