[Sugar-devel] Kicking off HTML5 activities work

Daniel Narvaez dwnarvaez at gmail.com
Wed Apr 10 10:45:55 EDT 2013

On 8 April 2013 00:39, Daniel Narvaez <dwnarvaez at gmail.com> wrote:

> 1. Add support for Chrome web apps to Sugar.
>
> We could start by adding a native "App store" activity, which would
> basically be just a (UI less) Chrome browser window, pointing to a website
> hosting web apps. The installation would be all managed by Chrome itself.
> The sugar shell would communicate with Chrome through an extension to get
> the list of installed activities, to request launching and uninstalling
> them. We should be able to do that with these extension APIs:

Several approaches are possible here. One of them would be to always
requires a .xo wrapper for the web activity. Or we could have the chrome
extension generate those wrappers whenever an application is installed.

Implementation details aside, I think there are two fundamental questions
to be answered:

1 Do we want to be able to install activities from, say, the Chrome web
store?
2 Do we want to be able to distribute web activities as xo files?

My instinct would be yes to both, 1 to be more future proof, 2 to better
integrate with legacy activities.