[Sugar-devel] Usage of Signed-off-by / Acked-by - Re: Recent movement on Sugar master repository

James Cameron quozl at laptop.org
Wed Apr 3 18:06:32 EDT 2013

On Wed, Apr 03, 2013 at 06:27:46PM +0200, Daniel Narvaez wrote:
> Perhaps you can explain exactly what Signed-off-by adds compared to
> the author field in tnormal cases? I know it's not much work, but it
> adds one more thing we need to request to patch submitters. I tend
> to think the simpler is the process the more patches we will get :)
> Or at least I personally get really annoyed by bureaucracy when
> submitting code.

Signed-off-by is an awareness and enthusiasm test.  If a patch arrives
without these, it means the patch was sent by someone who is so
enthusiastic about their work that they might have forgotten
something.  ;-)

I was annoyed too, but my annoyance went away with time and an
understanding of the process.

> About Reviewed-by, if you have say a 10 patches set, is one-by-one
> interactive rebase the only way to add the tag to all the patches?
> I'm not too attached to the one click pull request merging from the
> web UI... pulling and pushing on the command line is not too
> complicated. Though if you have to modify patches one by one it
> starts to get annoying...

Either the contributor or a maintainer may aggregate the tags before
pushing.  The reviewer or tester need not, but may.

The method I like best is to commit the patch on a local branch that
is specific to the patch, and when a new tag is seen in e-mail amend
the commit.

For a multiple patch set, I would branch again from the point before
the patch, apply the patch, then commit again.

--
James Cameron
http://quozl.linux.org.au/