[Sugar-devel] [IAEP] Sugar Digest 2012-09-18

S. Daniel Francis francis at sugarlabs.org
Sun Sep 23 21:24:12 EDT 2012

2012/9/23 James Cameron <quozl at laptop.org>:
> On Sun, Sep 23, 2012 at 09:14:41PM -0300, S. Daniel Francis wrote:
>> 2012/9/23 James Cameron <quozl at laptop.org>:
>> > It is irritating that we still store source code in linear text files
>> > without built-in internationalisation.
>> > As you change these names, they become far less useful to programmers
>> > who use that language.
>> >
>> > The development system would be more open and inclusive if there was a
>> > way to keep variable names, and other text, in multiple languages.
>>
>> It isn't possible, there is to implement l10n and then there are
>> needed translators, our translators cant translate source code...
>
> True, only bilingual programmers could translate source code ... and
> that was what I was suggesting.  I doubt our string translators, or
> their infrastructure, could be any help whatsoever.  It is a totally
> different problem.
>
> But I don't think it is impossible for bilingual programmers to
> collaborate in this way.  Merely difficult.

There are many reasons for don't translate source code.
Here two:
- Other languages have non-ascii characters, and variable names can't
be written with those characters.
- Python is very similar to the natural language, but in other
languages, where the order to use the words is different, the code
leases concordance.