[Sugar-devel] [IAEP] Sugar Digest 2012-09-18

James Cameron quozl at laptop.org
Sun Sep 23 19:40:39 EDT 2012

On Sun, Sep 23, 2012 at 07:53:35PM -0300, Gonzalo Odiard wrote:
> Paint activity was developed by a Brazilian team and a lot of variables
> had Portuguese names.
> Whit the time, we changed a lot, but there are a few pending.

It is irritating that we still store source code in linear text files
without built-in internationalisation.

As you change these names, they become far less useful to programmers
who use that language.

The development system would be more open and inclusive if there was a
way to keep variable names, and other text, in multiple languages.

I've seen nothing yet that achieves this.  It would require editor
application support.

In the meanwhile, the source code moves slowly to the common language
of the most frequent change directors.  As it happens to be my
language, I find it hard to object.  ;-)

--
James Cameron
http://quozl.linux.org.au/