[Sugar-devel] [IAEP] Sugar Digest 2012-09-18

S. Daniel Francis francis at sugarlabs.org
Sun Sep 23 20:14:41 EDT 2012

2012/9/23 James Cameron <quozl at laptop.org>:
> It is irritating that we still store source code in linear text files
> without built-in internationalisation.
> As you change these names, they become far less useful to programmers
> who use that language.
>
> The development system would be more open and inclusive if there was a
> way to keep variable names, and other text, in multiple languages.

It isn't possible, there is to implement l10n and then there are
needed translators, our translators cant translate source code...

> I've seen nothing yet that achieves this.  It would require editor
> application support.
>
> In the meanwhile, the source code moves slowly to the common language
> of the most frequent change directors.  As it happens to be my
> language, I find it hard to object.  ;-)

Maybe because I don't speak Chinese or any other Asian language, I
don't see difficult the task of understand/write source code in
Python.

I don't think it isn't inclusive or open, in this time we are able to
translate from any language to our natural language using any
translation program. I know about lots of English speakers writing in
Spanish mailing lists thanks to Google Translate. And also the case of
only-Spanish speakers writing in these mailing lists. If people can
pass the barrier of the language at mails, source code is very easier.