[Sugar-devel] gestures + event controller patch series

Simon Schampijer simon at schampijer.de
Mon Sep 10 07:39:46 EDT 2012

On 09/05/2012 02:04 PM, Carlos Garnacho wrote:
> Hey,
>
> I'm sending an updated patch set. There was a missing header in the
> previous set, and now there's code to show UI feedback on long press
>
>    Carlos

Hi Carlos,

all in all a very nice work, I have a few comments on the API:

==Long press==
The property names could be a bit more descriptive. How about
"timeuntiltriggered" or "durationuntiltriggered" instead of "timeout"
and "allowableMovement" instead of "threshold" (shorter descriptive
ideas welcome :).

For the signal name, I prefer 'ended' instead of 'finished', works
better with 'started'. Began/Ended is another option.

Sidenote: The visual feedback for the press-hold is currently a black
rectangle on the XO.

==Swipe==
Maybe there are better options for the signal name than
"swipe-finished", how about "swipe-recognized' or if we consider the
signal name for LongPress how about just 'ended'?

Maybe we can enhance the API to know the location where a swipe begun.
Could be an argument to the 'ended' callback maybe.

Should we allow to only listen for a specific swipe direction as a property?

Not highest priority: I am not sure how hard it is to extend this, but
maybe we can allow to define swipes for multiple touch points (at least
two)? Could be another property.

==Rotate==
We should note that the angle is in radians.

==Zoom==
Maybe the delta argument in the annotation for zoom-changed should be
called scale? And we can note in the description that it is the delta.

==Tap==
As an addition we can think about a gesture handler for taps, to know
when there have been multiple taps.

==Namespace==
The Namespace is quiet long (SugarEventController.LongPressController)
and it doubles "Controller". We could either move it under SugarExt
(SugarExt.LongPressController) or we could maybe use SugarGestures
(SugarGestures.LongPressController).

Regards,
    Simon