[Sugar-devel] shell-port status

Simon Schampijer simon at schampijer.de
Thu Sep 6 12:23:45 EDT 2012

On 09/06/2012 09:31 AM, Simon Schampijer wrote:
> On 09/05/2012 07:29 PM, Simon Schampijer wrote:
>> On 09/03/2012 11:29 PM, Simon Schampijer wrote:
>>> Hi,
>>>
>>> we made quite some good progress last week with the port. Most of the
>>> open items have been fixed. I do rebase now on master to start merging
>>> and keep on working on the master branches. I uploaded the current
>>> patches at [1], the rest coming. Feel free to start commenting while
>>> going.
>>>
>>> Regards,
>>>     Simon
>>>
>>> [1] http://dev.laptop.org/~erikos/shell_port/
>>
>> I just updated the repo, nearly all of the patches have been rebased,
>> cleaned and the description prettied up. Now only the Journal patches
>> are missing and one or two Palette patches. But the existing ones can be
>> looked at already, most of this is straight forward looking at the
>> exercise we did with the toolkit port. I will merge in the next days.
>>
>> Regards,
>>     Simon
>
> Had great feedback from Manuel on the patches and incorporated those,
> updated the repo. One main thing that came up was that we use the
> dynamic bindings of cairo in the shell as we use "cairo.RectangleInt()"
> which is only available in the dynamic bindings. The current situation
> of cairo introspection is mainly that: "The code existing in
> gobject-introspection is just the minimum required to make GTK
> introspection work." [1] You can see that if you look at the gir file [2].
>
> In the toolkit-gtk3 we use the static bindings as we do want to access
> things like cairo.OPERATOR_SOURCE, cairo.ImageSurface,
> cairo.ImageSurface.create_from_png etc. Same we do in activities like
> Browse when we want to use cairo for drawing operations.
>
> Even mixing static and dynamic bindings seems to work fine, at the
> moment there is no case where we need to, though.
>
> Back to the Journal patches,
>     Simon

All the Journal patches are done. The shell starts and pretty much
everything is in place. A few smaller items like the Palettes position
for the Frame icons and the updater/language sections in the CP are left
to do. And a few theming parts. But the meat is ready.

You need to pull in latest sugar-toolkit-gtk3 as well in order to test this.

Awaiting final review round from Manuel, than we can merge and keep on
fixing in master.

Cheers,
    Simon