[Sugar-devel] shell-port status

Simon Schampijer simon at schampijer.de
Thu Sep 6 08:15:02 EDT 2012

On 09/06/2012 09:31 AM, Simon Schampijer wrote:
> On 09/05/2012 07:29 PM, Simon Schampijer wrote:
>> On 09/03/2012 11:29 PM, Simon Schampijer wrote:
>>> Hi,
>>>
>>> we made quite some good progress last week with the port. Most of the
>>> open items have been fixed. I do rebase now on master to start merging
>>> and keep on working on the master branches. I uploaded the current
>>> patches at [1], the rest coming. Feel free to start commenting while
>>> going.
>>>
>>> Regards,
>>>     Simon
>>>
>>> [1] http://dev.laptop.org/~erikos/shell_port/
>>
>> I just updated the repo, nearly all of the patches have been rebased,
>> cleaned and the description prettied up. Now only the Journal patches
>> are missing and one or two Palette patches. But the existing ones can be
>> looked at already, most of this is straight forward looking at the
>> exercise we did with the toolkit port. I will merge in the next days.
>>
>> Regards,
>>     Simon
>
> Had great feedback from Manuel on the patches and incorporated those,
> updated the repo. One main thing that came up was that we use the
> dynamic bindings of cairo in the shell as we use "cairo.RectangleInt()"
> which is only available in the dynamic bindings. The current situation
> of cairo introspection is mainly that: "The code existing in
> gobject-introspection is just the minimum required to make GTK
> introspection work." [1] You can see that if you look at the gir file [2].
>
> In the toolkit-gtk3 we use the static bindings as we do want to access
> things like cairo.OPERATOR_SOURCE, cairo.ImageSurface,
> cairo.ImageSurface.create_from_png etc. Same we do in activities like
> Browse when we want to use cairo for drawing operations.
>
> Even mixing static and dynamic bindings seems to work fine, at the
> moment there is no case where we need to, though.
>
> Back to the Journal patches,
>     Simon
>
> [1]
> http://lists.cairographics.org/archives/cairo-bugs/2011-June/004401.html
> [2] /usr/share/gir-1.0/cairo-1.0.gir

The ported code does use GStreamer through introspection. So we will
depend on GStreamer 1.0 (old GStreamer does not have full introspection
support).

I just checked availability of GStreamer 1.0 in the distros. In Fedora
it has been built now [1] with the basic plugins. In Ubuntu the
situation looks good as well [1]. The upcoming „Quantal Quetzal“ will
have GStreamer 1.0 and there are PPAs for Precise Pangolin.

Not sure what the situation is on other distributions. I hope they are
in a similar shape or will catch up soon.

I think it is ok to move forward with this dependency, if I missed
anything important - please speak up.

Regards,
    Simon

[1] http://koji.fedoraproject.org/koji/buildinfo?buildID=348216