[Sugar-devel] shell-port status

Peter Robinson pbrobinson at gmail.com
Thu Sep 6 08:42:49 EDT 2012

> The ported code does use GStreamer through introspection. So we will depend
> on GStreamer 1.0 (old GStreamer does not have full introspection support).
>
> I just checked availability of GStreamer 1.0 in the distros. In Fedora it
> has been built now [1] with the basic plugins. In Ubuntu the situation looks
> good as well [1]. The upcoming „Quantal Quetzal“ will have GStreamer 1.0 and
> there are PPAs for Precise Pangolin.

The whole gammit of gst-plugins- base/good/bad-free are now in Fedora 18+/

> Not sure what the situation is on other distributions. I hope they are in a
> similar shape or will catch up soon.

They will need to as it's a hard dependency for gnome 3.6 due this
month. gst 1.0 final will apparently appear some time before the gnome
3.6 release. Ultimately that dep makes it perfect for us as the core
packages should propagate through the distros quite quickly.

> I think it is ok to move forward with this dependency, if I missed anything
> important - please speak up.

With the hard dep on gnome 3.6 and the fact that we will depend on
other touch related things that we need being in 3.6 as well I think
it's perfectly fine to require it. Ultimately if they don't have it
they're also likely not going to have other things we need like
minimum versions of gtk3 so that's going to be be worst of their
problems.

Peter