[Sugar-devel] [HARMONIC] Harmonic Distribution 0.4 development release
alsroot at sugarlabs.org
Sun Jul 15 20:17:56 EDT 2012
New development release of projects that conform Harmonic
Distribution effort, Sweets Distribution (packages with
base software) and Sugar Network (content delivering/sharing
== General Notes ==
* Clear separation in Sugar Network development between software
project and deployment efforts in Peru processed by Sugar Labs Peru
under brand of Red Azúcar.
Obviously, development process is more localized and core development
team includes the following people (in alphabetical order):
* Aleksey Lim, server side and client library developer
* Laura Vargas, UI Designer
* Sebastian Silva, Web UI developer
The Red Azúcar, from another side, is a pure deployment effort processed
by Sugar Labs Peru. It is intended to be a "final product" to bring Sugar
Network to people in the field. Red Azúcar involves much more people
[than development process] of different categories. Consult Red Azúcar
home page for more information:
These release notes are covering only development process of software
project Sugar Network.
* From the beginning, the whole development process is being funded by
donations from community members. To make situation more clear for
possible donators, the funding request was split into:
* funding software project named "Sugar Network", request is mostly
being targeted to community members to follow regular crowd
We are looking for better ways to accept donations. Suggestions
* funding Red Azúcar deployment product to distribute Sugar Network
* Created Sweets Distribution translate.sugarlabs.org project
It is intended to translate strings from projects included to
Sweets Distribution. Right now, only Sugar Network related strings.
== Sugar Network general notes ==
* Offline scenarios.
The initial Sugar Network's design assumed covering offline
environments. From 0.4, Sugar Network provides some feasible
functionality. It is possible to start Sugar Network Node on, e.g.,
a XO laptop (XO-1.5 is preferable) to start serving clients around.
* Another offline related feature is a possibility to view Sugar Network
data placed to removable device. There are might be several use cases:
* If Sugar box is a Sugar Network Node when its data is on removable
device (see previous paragraph)
* Sugar Network content that is intended to be available only
for local user, i.e., a way to extend local space to, e.g., keep
more activities. This feature is not yet Implemented.
Web UI has a way (palette for 1st button in toolbar) to switch between
Sugar Network content:
* "Network" for content placed on Master or Node server;
* "Home" content in user's home directory;
* content from mounted removable devices.
* In Web UI, it is possible to create Projects. Projects are intended
to be more general [in comparing with Activities] top-level entities
in Sugar Network to collect efforts, e.g., feedback resources,
in one place.
For example, Sugar Network itself is represented as a "Sugar Network"
== Sugar Network Web UI notes ==
* Implemented the ability for authors to edit feedback resources
created by them.
* It is possible to delete one's own comments.
* It's possible to browse all kinds of feedback resources
as a network activity timeline.
* Toolbar design has been reworked.
* Sugar-like menu palettes have been implemented.
* Context browser grid now offers to view Projects and
* Context information panel has been reworked and now informs about
Visit Web UI home page for further information:
== Try the release ==
Follow regular Sweets Distribution instructions to setup Factory
repository and start using it on supported platforms:
Right after installation, Sugar Network integration will be disabled, to
In addition, there are XO images created within the Hexokinase
project. Follow the instructions to flash the images (images might
contain outdated packages, update them on the first start):
Sugar Network usage tutorial was updated by Thomas C Gilliard:
For features and possible issues, consult Sweets Distribution Factory pages:
== Credits ==
* Peruvian community that supports this work. Especially by exposing the real need
in such kind projects and help with making deployment (of Harmonic Distribution
based project) possible.
* World wide community members who donated funds to make full time
* People from mailing lists and IRC channels who are helping in
More information about the Sugar-devel