[Sugar-devel] Getting Journal entries off an XO at the end of a project?

Sascha Silbe silbe at activitycentral.com
Tue Jan 17 05:49:52 EST 2012

Excerpts from Christoph Derndorfer's message of 2012-01-13 20:29:34 +0100:

[Backup activity]
> > Make a backup of the Journal entries...
> >
> > The process is make an .tar.gz of all entries and save in a folder into an
> > usb: /backup/SN###### (SN#... is the serial of the XO)

Slight correction: JEBs ([1], the same format the XS uses) are zip
files, not tar.gz files. The file name includes the user name (as used
in Sugar), so it should be easy to figure out who each backup belongs
to.

> > PD: in ourt Uruguayan image.. Dextrosa.. The backup/restore are
> > functions
> > that appears in the Journal..
> > I think that is the same script that this activities had..

Nop, the format used by the Dextrose backup / restore feature is
completely different. It tars up the on-disk data structures of
sugar-datastore and dumps them to the same place, removing a special
file to trigger reindexing. This happens to work for current versions of
sugar-datastore, but is a bad idea in general. It wouldn't have worked
with sugar-datastore < 0.84 and doesn't work with gdatastore [2].

> thanks for your suggestion. I had looked into the Backup Activity but
> according to the description on ASLO it only works with the data store from
> Sugar 0.84 onwards and these machines are still running on build 767 which
> shipped with Sugar 0.82 (though I hope to *finally* upgrade them to 11.3.0
> next month).

I found and fixed the source of your confusion. Seems I forgot to update
the description after adding support for 0.82; sorry for that.

While I have been rigorous in testing Backup and Restore with all
combinations of a range of Sugar versions from 0.82 to 0.89 (0.90), the
oldest OLPC OS build I have running is 801, so I'd recommend testing
Backup with OLPC OS build 767 first before relying on it. If you do test
it on 767, please let me know the results so I can mention them on
a.sl.o.

Doing a full backup is a good idea regardless of any "cherry-picking"
you do. It allows you to go back and extract additional objects that you
(or the kids) forgot during the first run.

Sascha

[1] http://wiki.laptop.org/go/Journal_entry_bundles
[2] https://git.sugarlabs.org/gdatastore
--