[Sugar-devel] Proposed addition to Sugar

David Mason damason at redhat.com
Sun Jan 15 05:50:41 EST 2012

> Nice start.

Thanks.

> I think a first step would be to solicit some feedback from the
> pedagogy team. There are regular weekly meetings... perhaps we can
> schedule you in for a discussion?

I'm definitely interested, what time (in which time zone) do the meetings usually take place?

> From an activity-developer point of view, I am a bit confused by how I
> interact with Glycerin. Do I need to define a close-ended task within
> my activity? Maybe you could take a peek at, for example,
> TurtleConfusion [1], a series of challenges for Turtle Art. Should be
> relatively straight-forward to migrate to your system?

I think migration would be quite easy. TurtleConfusion is an excellent candidate for working with Glycogen - to make the challenges available to Glycogen, they would need to be described in Challenge objects, which include the bundle id and challenge id as a unique identifier, a description of the challenge, and the target result (which would be 'True' for this type of challenge, but can also be numeric). The Challenge objects are registered with Glycogen when an activity is added, and the activity developer is responsible for reporting the achieved result whenever it changes.

I've written a tutorial for how all this is done, I would like to make it simpler if possible though and write some clearer examples. See https://docs.google.com/document/pub?id=125I6uxMECa_nt6UovBKhUmxSl2BcP7aNPJ9W6zh5ZEo&pli=1

I've aimed to make the Challenge interface as open-ended as possible, so that activity developers can define True/False, numeric or other types to keep track of progress. Glycogen's UI does not yet allow students to enter custom values for a challenge, this is a goal though (e.g. a challenge could be to complete a number of TurtleConfusion tasks, and the student could enter 4, or 10 or any number that is valid for that challenge).

Cheers,

David Mason
Software Engineer
L10n Engineering