[Sugar-devel] Idea for a New Activity in Sugar: To code and run C, C++ programs

Gonzalo Odiard gonzalo at laptop.org
Mon Aug 6 16:06:03 EDT 2012

On Sun, Aug 5, 2012 at 12:03 PM, Kartik Kumar <kartik.peri at gmail.com> wrote:

> Hi All,
>
> I was thinking of an Activity for Sugar using which children can write
> programs in C and C++ and execute them.

Why? Why, poor kids?! :)

Jokes aside, I don't think is a good idea:
* C is more difficult to learn than python.
* In the images there are not gcc and make.
* Compiled c code is dependent of the platform,
and we do not have a good solution to multiplatform binaries in the
activities.

Why you think, learning C can be good for kids?

Create a IDE with the simplicity needed by the sugar design is a challenge.
If you want help with a development tool to write python activities,
check http://git.sugarlabs.org/develop

Gonzalo