[Sugar-devel] Idea for a New Activity in Sugar: To code and run C, C++ programs

S. Daniel Francis francis at sugarlabs.org
Sun Aug 5 13:34:32 EDT 2012

2012/8/5 Kartik Kumar <kartik.peri at gmail.com>:
> Thanks Daniel for your valuable feedback!
>
> I agree with you that C will be bit complex in the begining and it is
> difficult to write Gcc in python.
>
> I appreciate the idea of activity for web development. I am very much
> exicted and inspired to explore on how we can go about it and develop it. To
> add to what you mentioned, we can provide an IDE as an activity where
> children can develop HTML pages and develop even entire web application in
> python. We can also explore if DJango(web application framework in python)
> can be used in this context.

Sounds good, I like Django, but talking about the interface, it'll
need a big organization because there are too many features to be
added so you are right in start now to think in that.
I suggest to make GUI editing interfaces for some python files, for
example the server requests where the children could feel a few lost
editing it directly.
I'd leave Html/Javascript code for the children freestyle creation,
maybe a possibility for switch between a code mode and a more graphic
mode (your idea of the rich html component library would enter here),
but it implies there'll be needed examples where the children can
learn the usage.

I can't reply much more design feedback at the moment, I never
designed a so big activity and I don't know a lot of Django (I started
to read a few about it some weeks ago), but I'm interested in follow
nearly this thread.

Regards!