[Sugar-devel] Activities for teacher-oriented and mouse-based interactions?

Walter Bender walter.bender at gmail.com
Tue Sep 6 14:27:34 EDT 2011

On Tue, Sep 6, 2011 at 11:23 AM, Bastien <bzg at altern.org> wrote:
> All right, don't scream and run away.
>
> http://sankore.org/ is a project by a french governemental department
> (DIENA¹) for selling low-cost digital whiteboards to teachers in Africa.
>
> OLPC France has been sollicited by the DIENA back in october 2010, and
> I underlined the differences between the OLPC/Sugar educational approach
> and that of the Sankoré project:
>
> | Sankoré project                  | OLPC / Sugar                       |
> |----------------------------------+------------------------------------|
> | one computer per teacher         | one laptop per child               |
> | digital whiteboards for teachers | small laptops for children         |
> | in-school program                | always-available learning resource |
>
> Still, since people from the Sankoré project appear to look favorably
> at Free Software in education (they opened the code for the Sankoré
> application -- http://open-sankore.org, are using Ubuntu and consider
> deploying Kiwix to let users browse Wikipedia offline) we kept in touch.
>
> Now a member of OLPC France, also working for the DIENA, is about to
> push the idea of having Sugar installed on the teachers laptop.
>
> 1) How would you consider this idea?
>
> 2) What set of meaningful activities would you pick up?

Beyond the usual suspects: web browser and other document and media
activities, I'd focus on activities such as Etoys and Turtle Art. But
also, many games could be done interactively with a class where
students are asked for their rationale as they suggest moves. I am
thinking for example of Sokoban.

-walter

> Hope you're still here.  And thanks in advance for any answer!
>
> --
>  Bastien

Walter Bender
Sugar Labs