[Sugar-devel] Adding git to Sugar platform?

Gary Martin garycmartin at googlemail.com
Sat Oct 22 02:36:10 EDT 2011

Hi Martin,

On 22 Oct 2011, at 06:31, Martin Langhoff wrote:

> On Sat, Oct 22, 2011 at 12:25 AM, Gary Martin
> <garycmartin at googlemail.com> wrote:
>> Just to clarify, as yum install git is about the first thing I do (closely followed by yum install vim and pylint) on a fresh XO install I remembered to take a note of the install size – for the current olpc candidate 882 build, yum reports git install size as 11Mb (on XO-1.75) and 12Mb on an XO-1. It just pulls in 3 packages, git, perl-Error, and perl-Git.
>
> I think your numbers there understimate the situation. The Perl dep
> chain is closer to what Peter reports.

It's a rather late Friday night (well early Sat morning now I guess), so apologies if I'm missing something obvious... I just clean flashed os882 onto an XO-1 again. Running df -h reports /dev/root:

672Mb Used, 353Mb Avail, 66% Use.

Then I yum install git, and df -h reports:

707Mb Used, 318Mb Avail, 69% Use.

Then to clear the yum repo cache metadata, yum clean all:

677Mb Used, 348Mb Avail, 67% Use.

So that seems to be only 5Mb of actual disk taken by installing git (I'm assuming disk compression has helped us out there from the otherwise yum reported 11Mb). I also tried a 'yum clean all' on a fresh os822, and df -h actually reported loosing 1Mb of free space (so just running 'yum clean all' must still be generating some metadata all of its own).

I'll stop hand waving now.

Regards,
--Gary

P.S. Not trying to lobby for or against git being added as a dependency to the sugar platform, that is outside my pay grade. Just seems an 80Mb dependency would be an obvious "no way" – but adding git from where we are right now seems more than magnitude less than that number. Perhaps this means there is unnecessary/unexpected package bloat in the current os822 build that is there by mistake?